Canada is a beautiful country but its also perfect to settle down with your partner or spouse to enjoy the high living standards. Spouse visa program is the most popular one in Canada.

If you’re eligible, you can sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children to become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner or dependent children.


Your spouse can be either sex and must be:

  • Legally married to you
  • At least 18 years old
  • Your common-law partner

Common-law partner

  • Isn’t legally married to you
  • Can be either sex
  • Is at least 18 years old
  • Has been living with you for at least 12 consecutive months, meaning you’ve been living together continuously for 1 year in a conjugal relationship, without any long periods apart
Any time spent away from each other should have been
  • Short
  • Temporary
If you or your common-law partner choose to end the relationship, the Canada immigration dept consider the relationship to be over. You’ll need to give proof of your common-law relationship.

Conjugal partner

Your spouse can be either sex and must be:

  • Isn’t legally married to you or in a common-law relationship with you
  • Can be either sex
  • Is at least 18 years old
  • Has been in a relationship with you for at least 1 year
  • Lives outside Canada
  • Can't live with you in their country of residence or marry you because of significant legal and immigration reasons such as
  • Their marital status (for example, they’re still married to someone else in a country where divorce isn’t possible)
  • Their sexual orientation (for example, you are in a same-sex relationship, and same-sex relationships are not accepted, or same-sex marriage is illegal where they live),
  • Persecution (for example, your relationship is between different religious groups which is not accepted, and they may be punished legally or socially)

You’ll need to give proof that you could not live together or get married in your conjugal partner’s country (for example, proof of refused long-term stays in each other’s country).

Dependent children

Children qualify as dependants if they meet both of these requirements:

  • They’re under 22 years old
  • They don’t have a spouse or common law partner
There are two steps for the application:
  • You must apply to become a sponsor
  • Your spouse, partner or child must apply for permanent residence.

As a sponsor, you are responsible for all the financial needs of your spouse, partner or children. At IAEC we will explain you all the obligations and conditions that are needed to be followed as a sponsor or as the sponsored partner/spouse.

Take a free assessment today to find out if you are eligible to sponsor your spouse or partner and children. There are different categories of being a sponsor as well. To reduce the hassle of understanding all the possibilities and situations, meet our expert advisors who will make sure you apply in the correct category with all the required documents.

At IAEC, we will be standing with you till you get your visa successfully. We are among the best partner visa agents in Melbourne as well as Ahmedabad.